Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Don't Knock it Until You Try It


source


While I like vegetables, I struggle to get my 5-9 servings a day. Honestly, I know relatively few people who don’t have trouble. I am sorry, but I am going to choose coconut butter over asparagus EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. J

However, in eliminating all grains and dairy from my diet, I have made a concerted effort to boost my veggie intake. One way I have found to do this is by including veggies in snacks.
Right now, my favorite veggie snack is....(no judging please)

Lettuce


Pecans



And Strawberries (if available).



I make little lettuce wraps with a couple diced pecans inside. I am not lying, it is delicious! I even made Chase try one and he liked it (THIS IS MAJOR).

The key to achieving deliciousness is to use FRESH lettuce—none of that packaged stuff. Also, did you know this head of lettuce cost all of $1.01. Plus, it will last all week, unlike the bagged lettuce mix that gets slimy in 3 days.

Honestly, the best purchase of 2011 was my salad spinner. I do not know how I lived without this! It cost all of $10 at Homegoods and is KEY for making Kale Chips and salads. 




Right now I have been keeping lettuce all cleaned and dry in the spinner, so when I open the refrigerator I remember to pack this as a morning or afternoon snack. I am going to experiment with other fruits. Chase suggested grapes, and I think he is definitely on to something.

Are you good at eating vegetables? How do you get your 5-9 servings?

5 comments:

  1. I was about to suggest goat cheese in there too, until I realized you just said you eliminated dairy, hah! But I bet coconut butter would even be delicious with strawberries in there too.
    I make big stir frys for dinner most nights with at least a few servings of veggies. And my omeletes are always packed as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try coconut butter! What a great idea! :) I haven't made a stir fry in forever. That is such a wonderful way to get a zillion vegetables in one sitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually have a large salad at lunch and then 1-2 veggies at dinner. I never feel like having a veggie for a snack... maybe carrots with guacamole dip... but I always reach for fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a salad spinner would be a good investment. I get so annoyed every time I have to sit there and pat dry lettuce. Anyway.. I don't get the right amount of servings of veggies.. ever. I think I'd have to eat veggies 9 times a day to get the right amount. not happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's crazy but I don't have any problem getting in my 5-9 a day. I love vegetables, they are my favorites! I would rather eat them than most things- except ice cream & chocolate. My salad spinner was a great thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete