Sunday, September 18, 2011

Paleo Faileo

In my attempts to embrace the frugal frog fun to the best of my ability, I have tried to get creative in making my favorite foods more economical. Consequently, when I saw this at the grocery store:

 Source

I immediately thought that I could try and make this from scratch:


At Whole Foods I pay $13.99 for a jar, and there are no Whole Foods around me so it would also be lots of gas $$. At my local market, I pay $1.50 for a coconut. Thus, when I saw the coconut staring at me, I decided to try and make my own coconut butter. 

It started with me poking holes in each of the three soft spots (it is the weakest part of the coconut):


Then I drained the water out. There was quite a bit of dance-shaking to get all of it out.


The third step was my favorite. I selected a giant bath towel and wrapped the coconut up, nice and tight.


Then I got my pink tool box out of the closet and found my hammer and went at it like a kid at a pinata party.


I have had the most stressful few days ever. To be perfectly honest, this was incredibly cathartic! I highly recommend cracking coconuts for stress management. :)

Then I cut up the meat of the coconut and rinsed it.


And then, into the food processor it went.

I then processed it for 10 minutes. When nothing seemed to happen, I put the shredded coconut on a cookie sheet and toasted it, thinking that would aid in the process.


I then put it back in the food processor and continued to process it for the last 30 minutes of "Teen Mom" (Try not to judge me...). Then, suddenly, my beloved mini food processor stopped. 

It grieves me deeply to announce that on September 15th, 2011 at 6:45 PM, my food processor made its last chop. 




It will be dearly missed, as will the coconut butter that was never finished. 

I think if I had a regular processor, not a mini, it would have gotten the job done. But alas, the world may never know. 


And this my friends was my first, but most definitely not my last, paleo faileo. 

Have you ever had a recipe or kitchen failure? Do share! 

4 comments:

  1. hahaha awww I'm sorry, that's sad! I can't believe it wouldn't work after 30 minutes! Was the meat really that tough? Maybe buying unsweetened shredded coconut and blending that will be a little better. A bag is much cheaper than the butter at least, although not as cheap as a whole coconut. Props for giving it a try though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have had plentyyy of kitchen failures haha. i remember one time when i was like 13, i was making pancakes and i wanted to do the really cool flip i always see on tv. so once it was time to flip, i went 1, 2, 3. splat. it landed all over the kitchen floor. yeah let's just say i ended up having toast for breakfast haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you used a hammer to bust open your coconut - classic!! Don't feel bad about the coconut fail, I had a similar one recently when I tried to make coconut butter from reduced fat shredded coconut. I had no clue I bought the reduced fat version and couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wasn't turning into butter! I bought the regular version and with the help of my handy food processor, we have coconut butter! I hope you get a new food processor soon! I seriously can't imagine life without mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I giggled through that whole post. Poor little food processor.

    ReplyDelete