Thursday, September 22, 2011

Jerk Chicken in a Crockpot

I have a confession to make... There is a new love in my life. And he looks like this:


I have officially fallen head-over-heels in love with my crockpot. My sister and I always teased my mom growing up because every dinner came from the crockpot. Now I COMPLETELY understand the reason for her affinity. The crockpot is the best friend every busy girl (and guy!) needs.

Yesterday I decided to make "Jerk Chicken." However, after looking at tons of recipes and making many adaptations and substitutions, I do not think it can actually have this moniker. 

Instead, I am calling this recipe:

Thyme on Your Side Crockpot Chicken

3 lbs Chicken leg quarters
1 onion (diced)
7 cloves of Garlic
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Ground Mustard
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Dash of Ginger
Dash of Rep Pepper Flakes
2 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar

1) Place chicken into the crockpot
2) Sprinkle everything else on top!
3) Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours (If chicken is frozen, it will be closer to 6 hours)

I bought this giant bag of peeled garlic cloves. It was $4 and the garlic tastes SO fresh. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to smash heads of garlic and spend hours trying to get the papery stuff off. 

I made this recipe using chicken leg quarters. They looks like this in the store:

And the best part of using bone-in leg quarters is the value:

This cost $3.35. Um, Holy Frugal Frog! That is a STEAL! 

Chase absolutely ADORED this recipe. I thought it was good, but when I make it again, I think I will do more oregano and less thyme. Also, I think I would add some Tabasco sauce for a little heat!

What is your favorite way to eat chicken?!


  1. I love when it's roasted and seasoned with salt and pepper. It sounds plain, but when the meat falls apart, I just swoon!

  2. Liz, simplicity can be just as delicious as all of the fancy trimmings! I totally agree! :)

  3. This is AWESOME. I always thought jerk chicken would be such an intensive recipe-- but this is easy peasy! Now I just need a crockpot :(

    My favorite way to eat chicken is usually marinaded in a teriyaki sauce. mmmmmmmmmmm

  4. yayy crock pot recipe! I just used mine for the first time yesterday, and I'm on the look out for good recipes. Looks yummy.

  5. I know! It is crazy how wonderful that little appliance is! ....I need to whip it out and make something wonderful for sure! ...I'm feeling a spicy chicken white chili soon!

  6. yumm I love chicken in the crock pot.. it just falls apart!! I'm going to make oats overnight in the crock pot tonight with apples in it.. I am so excited to wake up to it :D

  7. I would LOVE a crockpot -now youve reminded me!! Help!!! I've bascially emotionally maninpulated, I mean persuaded, my husband to buy a blender with our 'house money' (money his grandma gave us as a wedding present!). But do I actually want a crockpot more - help me deciiiide!!! xox
    ps - are you feeling better? xox pps - did you eat any of the whoopie pies?! they look amazing - Ive never had one, but I have to say the name is a bit weird! xox

  8. So glad to hear you're part of the crockpot club now!!! It really is one of the best kitchen appliances to have. Happy crockpot'ing to you! :)

  9. Just tried out the recipe. Can't wait to see how it turns out.