Monday, August 8, 2011

Being a Navy Wife

Yesterday was a tough day. Not only was it the end of vacation, but it was the last day I was able to wake up next to my husband for the next 5 weeks. Chase, my husband, is working at the Naval Medical Center in Bethesda until early September. This is how I felt yesterday:


Source
Goodbyes are my least favorite part of being a Naval wife. However, I am MORE than aware of how lucky I am to know where my husband is at all times and be confident that he is safe. So many military wives do not have such blessed assurances. But it is still hard to figure out how to negotiate life alone--I miss my best friend! It is also difficult because the city where we live now is hundreds of miles away from any Naval or military base so there really is no one who understands this whole situation.

I have decided that I HAVE to learn to make the best of times like these and I am going to use this time to dive into activities that I have been "meaning" to accomplish. To increase my accountability, I am going to make them public to you, my dear readers.

1) I am going to re-acquaint myself with YOGA! Practicing yoga always helps my body recover from running and it aids in flexibility and de-stressing. What's not to love?

2) I will discover new Paleo recipes. I am one of those people who could happily eat the same six foods for a month. I need to jump out of my paleo comfort zone and explore all of the yummy possibilities.

3) I will have daily quiet time. Right now I am deplorable at making sure I set time aside  for devotions. Whenever I do make the time, I find that my whole day goes better. When will I learn?!?!

4) I will drink more water. I know this sounds super lame, but if I am not mindful, I completely forget to drink enough water. I am going to splurge on two new water bottles tomorrow that will hopefully motivate me to drink up!

5) I will read more! I LOVE reading, but I often do not make time to do it. I went to the library and checked out several books. Two of which are:
Source

and



The Help, which I have been meaning to read for the past year!

I must read this book before seeing the movie (which comes out on Wednesday!).


Any book suggestions I should add or goals I should accomplish? If there are any military wives with tips and tricks to make times like this easier, PLEASE SHARE!!!

1 comment:

  1. Although it's different, my youngest brother will be heading off to marine boot camp in january and be part of the marines for 8+ years. I am sad and scared for him... it's tough being a family member to someone in the military!
    I'm the same way about eating the same 6 foods. I would really love to step out of my cooking comfort zone, specifically with meats. I'm a little intimidated so I tend to cook them the same exact way every time. I'll be following along to see if you put up any new recipes, and hopefully I can try to do the same!

    ReplyDelete