Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Guilty Pleasure

Today I am going to reveal a hidden secret from my family and most of my friends. If you are reading this purely for Paleo info, this post will be incredibly disappointing, so no hard feelings if you want to completely ignore this post!

I am obsessed with The Real Housewives. All of them. Every City. Every County.

Source


I have no idea why I love these crazy ladies so much. I just do. Maybe it is because I find the interpersonal relationships between grown women fascinating. Perhaps I do not have enough drama in my life. Ultimately, I have no idea how to explain this love.

Source


I completely recognize that these girls are NUTS. I also understand if you have lost a little respect for me for admitting my adoration.  My guess is that while reading endless tomes on the thematics of nostalgia in postmodernism or gender dynamics in transatlantic literature in my doctoral program, my brain just said ENOUGH. It needed mindless fluff—enter The Real Housewives.

My favorite city was orignally New York. I appreciated that they actually used words correctly and the witty banter was quite delightful. My favorite “character” was Bethenny Frankel. I liked that she spoke her mind and I really loved her wardrobe. However, she has now become woefully too skinny and after reading that she considers “2 bites of frozen yogurt” a “healthy afternoon snack” I have moved on.  

 Source


I abhor Kelly Killoren Bensimon.
Source

She is on a non-stop flight to CrazyTown. And she is a major bully. And she does not think jelly beans are refined carbohydrates. I mean, really?!

Now, my favorite is probably The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

Source

How could I not love Beverly Hills. The houses alone make watching the show worth every single...as do the shoes. They have INCREDIBLE shows! Plus, one of the ladies (Kyle) was in Little House on the Prairie (She was Alicia Edwards...such a stinking cutie!). I was addicted to LHOTP from the age of 5. I would watch it at 10:05 and 11:05 on TBS every single day of the summer and whenever I was home from school due to sickness. (Does anyone else remember how TBS shows used to have that bizarre :05 start time? When did that go away?)



My least fave would have to be a tie between:

Miami  


and 

Atlanta

Source


Don’t get me wrong, I still watch every single episode (Oh the goodness of DVR and endless repeats on Bravo).

The thing about these shows is that they make me feel so much more together. I feel like the chaos that is my life actually contains far more sanity than I often think. I am a glass half-empty type of gal, and this show makes me realize how truly blessed and (somewhat) normal I am. Plus, they are just so different from the way I live, thus it is a complete mental escape. It is like a mini 60 minute vacation.Just don't tell my mom I watch these shows. That would be bad. I think she would still attempt to ground me. Southern mamas are LEGIT.

So what about you: What is your guilty pleasure TV show? Don’t worry. This is a safe place. Any fellow Housewive fans out there?

6 comments:

  1. Ahahaha - I'm right there with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched housewives with my roommates a lot last year... it was so addicting! Makes me appreciate my drama free life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I am so excited to have some company with my addiction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you, although I must admit MY guilty Housewive obsession is Nu Joizy. Those ladies are NUTS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, the Jersey Housewives are INSANE this season. I am LOVING it. I was so OVER Danielle and I think the new cast is the BEST. I want Caroline to be my BFF. She kills me! She is so stinking cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I've never watched them, but I have to admit...er...I watch Jersey Shore. ;)

    ReplyDelete